It is unfortunate that chain companies have associated sustainable fashion with literal slogans in big green font that say “green thumbs up” or “I’m sustainable” on over sized tee’s that have no shape and incorrect proportions, which consumers will not buy, and stereotyping sustainable fashion to potato sacks.
Sustainability drives consumer education and innovation one of the key innovative factors is fabrics such as bamboo and hemp which originated from sustainability issues. As designers we are continually striving for innovation and our own point of difference to stand out in the industry, I personally feel a great starting point into the industry is to beak this stereotype and introduce sustainability to luxury.
As a student there are several aspects I can change to my design process that will assist in sustainable clothing.
- Using natural fabrics, silk, bamboo, hemp, soy bean etc.
- Using natural dyes
- Using positive/negative space in fabric, zero wastage
- Minimising seasonal trend based fashion designs
- Transeasonal designs
- Creating an emotional engagement between the consumer and garment.
As for our in class debate I was on the “for” sustainability team, as a designer I strongly feel that, sustainability is the positive and correct way to head for fashion in today’s global society.
No comments:
Post a Comment